Much thanks

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/12/07 10:48AM >>>
Fran - At Dutchess Community College we use COMPASS for the majority
of
our placement testing.

I would say it is about as effective as ASSET in placing students in a
math course.  If a student has passed his/her Math A Regents, we place
them in MAT100, Intermediate algebra, even if the placement test
places
them in basic math o elementary algebra.

We are pretty happy with the writing score for English course
placement.
We administer a writing sample only for our "appeal" range.  Our cut
scores are:

1 -19	ENG 091: Grammar review and extensive writing practice needed.
20-37	ENG 091: Grammar review and extensive writing practice needed.
Writing Appeal. Range  	(Student may write an essay to appeal
course
placement.  .)
38-55	ENG 092: Usage, mechanics & structure skills review needed
prior
to ENG 101.
56-70	ENG 092: Usage, mechanics & structure skills review needed
prior
to ENG 101. Writing 	Appeal Range. (Student may write an essay to
appeal course placement.  ).
71-82	ENG 101/001: College-level English with ENG001 recommended.
83-100	ENG 101: College-level English

Hope this helps.

Sally

Sally Weglinski
Assistant Director of Academic Services & Testing
Dutchess Community College
53 Pendell Road, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
845-431-8091  fax: 845-431-8609