(610) 527-0200  x2366

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joanne Gabel
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 11:02 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: COMPASS/ESL cut off scores

I have followed this thread with great interest because we are in the midst
of a legal debate about using the ESL version of COMPASS.  How do those of
you using both COMPASS and ESL COMPASS determine which version of the
placement test the student will take?  How do you discover, in other words,
that the student is a non-native English speaker who would benefit from the
ESL version?  (We have parallel developmental reading/writing and ESL
reading/writing/ speaking/listening programs. Students move directly into
college-level courses from their particular program.)

Joanne Gabel, PhD
Coordinator of Developmenal Writing
Reading Area Community College
10 South Second Street