Do you mean in courses, or in SI sessions or in group tutoring sessions
that are required?

When I teach a Psychology course I always make attendance mandatory. I
give out small assignments in class and each student is required to turn
in it and this is how I take attendance each day.  Attendance is worth
10% of the overall grade.  That solves any attendance issue in my
courses usually.  I also give each student 2 free misses for whatever
reason, but those students who attend every class get bonus points if
they do not use their misses.

As for SI sessions or required group tutoring sessions I am not sure how
you could mandate attendance. When I oversaw the academic support
program for student-athletes at another institution, classroom
attendance and tutoring attendance was mandatory and student-athletes
were first warned about misses in writing and the coaches were copied.
Then they could be suspended for one week and even for the entire term
if they continued to miss classes and/or tutoring sessions after they
had been notified of their misses.

Robert L. Ciervo, Ph.D., Director
Rutgers-Camden Learning Center
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey-Camden
231 Armitage Hall
311 N. Fifth Street
Camden, NJ 08102
(856) 225-2722