Financial aid is one problem. Some of our retention isssues are related to
it.

Some students are required to take courses (like developmental math) just so
they can enroll in those they want.  The required courses are ignored while
students go after their interests.

Parental pressure for "going to college" is often not appreciated by the
student who enrolls just to reduce the pressure.

Some students have had experiences that dictums can be ignored without
negative consequences.

I am coming to the view that enrollment in "college level" courses must be
postponed until all academic deficiencies are overcome.  Until that time,
financial aid and other courses would not be available.

Florida tried a "three strikes you are out" policy to solve this problem.
When a student failed a developmental course three times it was supposed to
be impossible to enroll. That procedure didn't work, but it is unclear if
the process was bad or that its administration made it another dictum that
had no negative results.

Bob