We have tried it both. ways in the learning communities. Putting aside
financial issues, the consensus of the faculty teaching in a learning
community is not to allow students to drop one  course in the learning
community. They must drop all or none. Students are aware of this from
the beginning. The reason we adopted this policy is because the process
of building community was interrupted every time someone would drop a
course and it would occur throughout the semester and collaboration in
activities across curriculum was impossible with these students not
participating in the all the courses.

Bobbie Capobianco
Developmental/Learning Communities Coordinator
Psychology Instructor
Rockingham Community College
PO Box 38
Wentworth, NC 27375
336-342-4261x2144

>>> Marcie Carter <[log in to unmask]> 2/1/2007 11:23 AM >>>
Good Morning all,

I am working with our Learning Community Advisory Board on an issue in
regard to students who enroll in a learning community and then decide
they want to drop one of the courses.

The group is struggling with the overall effect that has on the
community and whether the student should be de-enrolled from the
remaining community courses.

Have any of you dealt with this issue?  What resolutions have you
determined work for students?

We are struggling with the effect this may have on financial aid and
completion ratios.

Marcie A. Carter
Interim Bridge Program Director
Delta College
University Center, MI  48710
989-686-9163

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be silent if no
birds
sang except those that sang best."
-Henry Van Dyke

browser to

E-mail correspondence to and from this sender may be subject to the
North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties
by an authorized state official. (NCGS.Ch.132)