From: "Ray Sanchez" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 8:39 AM
Subject: SI in CA community colleges

Learning Assistance Professionals,

There seems to be some concern on my campus (Fresno City College,
Fresno, California) about Supplemental Instruction because of the term
"instruction". There are vague references made to the Ed. code but
nothing concrete. Then there is the concern that only instructors
instruct and that this term is carefully used in faculty contracts. They
are considering changing the name, that is, dropping "instruction" and
adding ??.

To me it seems quite simple: the SI Leaders do nothing anywhere close to
"instructing" and simply supplement what the instructors do in the
classroom. They are a supplement to the actual instruction.

Has anyone experienced this on their campus?

Ray M. Sanchez

Faculty Coordinator, Tutorial Center

Fresno City College

browser to