At Johnson County Community College (Overland Park, KS) we started our
credit ESL program with two levels in Fall 2004, and then added two more
levels in Fall, 2006. To screen students, we added this question to the
enrollment form. "Is English your native or first language or mother
tongue?" Students who answer "no" are then given ESL COMPASS, not
regular COMPASS. Their placement is based on a weighted score that
includes Reading, writing, and Listening. However, we (faculty) also can
see the individual scores, which we ask students to share with us.We
agree that the writing section isn't the best test, but it has worked to
put them all together for an average. We have over 54 countries
represented in our program called English for Academic Purposes. We also
teach reading and writing in linked learning communities (3 hrs + 3 hrs)
and we work to integrate the curriculum. Speaking/Pronunciation is a 3
hr. stand alone course, but students have to have completed the whole 9
hr. block before they move up.

Our Director of Testing, Janet Brandau ([log in to unmask]) could give
you our various cut-off scores. We have learned a lot during the last
couple of years and are still learning.

Roz Bethke, Professor of Reading/AAC
Johnson County Community College
Overland Park, KS 66210

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.