-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nic Voge
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 11:30 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Language, status and discrimination

Makes sense, David-Michael, as far as it goes. People do, indeed, use
different registers to talk with people of different statuses and in
different situations (e.g. formal vs. informal.), but of course the
issue is that what is considered "formal" and "organized" speech is not
the same for all speech communities. What is organized writing to me is
not the same for many East Asian writers, what is organized
story-telling for me is often not the same for Native Hawaiian speakers
(Google "talk story"), and the narrative structures of many
African-American speech communities have different features than the
story grammars of many Standard American English speaking communities.
By what criteria do we determine whether someone's communication is
"organized" and "formal"? Communication is rooted in conventions and
thus reciprocal expectations. I think we need to be careful that we
don't equate "not meeting our expectations" with "disorganized". If we
don't, then "organized" merely becomes a proxy for correct or proper. As
critical listeners and speakers shouldn't we take as our goal (if not
responsibility) to understand our interlocuters from their points of
view and thus try to see how their speech is organized and formal TO
THEM?

 From this perspective the perfectly reasonable dictum you state below
can be turned around: An educated person should be able to understand
people even if they don't communicate in the ways that such a person
would consider formal and organized.

Best,
Nic

>My approach to this issue is to remind students that everyone
>communicates differently with different people. For example, the
>language we use with our parents is usually different from the language

>we use with our friends. An educated person should be able to
>communicate in a formal, organized manner.
>
>David-Michael Allen, Ph.D.
>Donnelly College

grammatically?

>>  Linguistic evidence doesn't support that claim. Better in terms of
>> having access to power? I would agree. But at what price to these
>> speakers do we seek to change their ways of speaking to be like the
>> standard?
>>
>>  So, when we as educators attempt to  "improve" our students'
>>  dialects, we need to be aware that we are not teaching "correct"
>>  English, but rather, "conventional" and "codified" English that
>> reflects the ways of speaking of those who do the codifying.
>>  Nic
>>

>>>  Our College recently invited writer, diversity trainer and talk
>>> show  host Garrard McClendon to speak on his new book "Ax or Ask?
>>> The  African American Guide to Better English."  Our student
>>> newspaper ran
>
>>>  an article on McClendon.  He is quoted as saying, "I love Black
>>> English, it's comfortable, rhythmic, but use it all the time and you

>>> can be discriminated against. Sometimes we blame things on color,
>>> when it could be dialect."  He reminded the audience that there is
>>> no
>
>>>  such word as "squoze" or "irregardless."  In addition to his book,

>>> McClendon has created a website blackenglish.com to further educate

>>> African Americans.
>>>
>>>  I, myself, have not reviewed his book; and I have briefly visited
>>> his
>
>>>  website.  You may find one or both helpful.
>>>

>>>  Rae M. Maslana, M.Ed., NCC, LPC
>>>  Certified Learning Center Leadership Professional - Level 4 College

>>> of DuPage Coordinator, Tutoring Services Academic Support Center, IC

>>> 3040
>>>  (630) 942-3681
>>>  and
>>>  C.O.D. Counselor
>>>  (630) 942-4804 - Westmont Center
>>>  (630)942-4603 - Addison Center
>>>
>>>  Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that
>>> matter.
>>>  -- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Knowledge emerges only through invention and reinvention,  through the
restless, impatient, continuing, hopeful inquiry men pursue in the
world, with the world, and with each other. --Paolo Freire

Dominic (Nic) J. Voge
Study Strategies Program Coordinator
University of California, Berkeley
Student Learning Center