I approach the variety from a point of flexibility and usability. If you
want to communicate with the widest variety of people about the widest
variety of subjects and ideas, you need to use a wide variety of
'Englishes.'  Dialects, slangs, pidgins, argots, jargon are all useful
and have linguistic credibility, but can make it difficult to
communicate complex material or to communicate with others unfamiliar
with the particular variety of language you are using.

We have to be good readers and listeners willing to work at those tasks,
but the speakers and writers have an obligation to work to make their
communication as effective and clear as possible.  That involves adding
to and adapting one's Englishes, on both sides of the loop.

Loops got sides? I guess they do, in some sense  :-)

Elizabeth Dewey
Teaching/Learning Center, Delta College
University Center, MI 48710
989.686.9587