Is Ruby Payne the person who employs the euphemisms "formal" and
"informal" to replace "correct" and "incorrect" uasge.

David-Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of VERA MAYES
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 12:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Language, status and discrimination

** Proprietary **

we had someone who had completed the Ruby Payne course on understanding
Poverty speak to us at a recent training. Our whole staff found it very
beneficial in understanding our students and for me even some of the
difficulties my tutors face such as having no transportation besides the
bus..
If you get a chance to have some one come and talk about this program
and it's research it would be very valuable.

Vera Mayes
Math Learning Center Coordinator
Tallahassee Community College
444 Appleyard Dr.
DH 225
Tallahassee FL. 32304-2895
(850) 201-8251
http://www.tcc.fl.edu

>>> "Victoria K. VanSteenhouse" <[log in to unmask]> 02/22/07 12:47 PM

Hi All,

I'm new to this listserv so excuse me if you've already discussed this.
But Ruby Payne has a great book, A Framework for Understanding Poverty,
about the effect of socio-economic class in schools.  One of its main
themes is the use of language and how it relates to success in school.
It is one of the best books I've read to help me understand where so
many of my students are coming from, what rules they are following and
how I can help them understand their own written and spoken language so
they can have an educated choice about how they write and converse.
It's
not about good, bad or better or best, it's about having enough
information to choose what will work for you or not in terms of
individual success goals.

Vickie