-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Steven Moss
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 8:32 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Attendance-participation

How do your programs and schools address high absenteeism/non
participation by students?For example, in a section with 40 enrollees
five are No Shows and another 15-20 sort of disappear leaving a core of
15-20 regularly attending students.

Technically it's not a retention problem and I don't see it as a
persistence problem. It is a real problem and distorts the fail rate to
a point that some of us provide two sets of number one based on
enrollment and the other based on students who finished the course.

Administrative withdrawal is not an option. Positive and negative
incentives as well as personal contact efforts have been marginally
effective. How do you or how would you approach this issue? All ideas
and suggestions welcome.

browser to