-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Hotchkiss, Chrisa
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 5:30 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Policy for tutoring ESL students in writing

Dear listers,
I'm working on a policy for writing tutors working with ESL students.
Our tutors don't proofread or edit students' papers. But that line
always seems to be somewhat blurred when working with ESL students whose
errors are often more surface-level grammar and mechanics issue. The
approach some of our tutors use is to carefully analyze with the student
the first page of an essay and then have the student work independently
on the rest of the paper using the feedback from the tutor to look for
similar patterns of errors. However, some ESL students are having
difficulty with this because they know that when they work on their own
without the tutor, they are likely to miss a lot of the errors. So the
first part of the paper will be in better shape than the second and may
affect their grade. I'm thinking a possible strategy to address this
would be to have the student work independently on the second half of
the paper and then bring it back to the tutor one more time for review.
(Our ESL students are allowed two hours a week with a tutor.) Does
anyone else use this practice? Or do you have feedback about how you
address this issue using a different strategy?
Thanks for any feedback you can provide.
Chrisa

Chrisa Hotchkiss
Director of Learning Services
The Teaching and Learning Center