When it comes to delineation of true "standard written English," we of course always have the definitive OEG (Oxford English Grammar).  This tome not only addresses conventions of both American and British English, it also provides information about usage currently "in flux.”

So, I guess this is really a source for determining “correct.”  Further, while my everyday conversational English often does not suit these rules, I have learned that standard usage provides clarity in my communication.  I like to think that the "rules" have not been laid out in order to exclude those who have not mastered them; rather, I hope that the goal in promoting application of the rules is to help us to communicate with accuracy.

Leah Lidbury
Lecturer, Reading/Study Center
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
(920) 424-1031