	From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals on behalf of Joanne Conlon
	Sent: Tue 2/20/2007 10:24 AM
	To: [log in to unmask]
	Subject: Re: COMPASS/ESL cut off scores

	A number of you have asked about our scores...

	We offer one developmental reading course and one developmental writing
	course in our traditional liberal arts women's institution.  We began
	testing for Fall 2004 for the first time and have found that roughly 30% of
	our incoming students need the developmental writing, 50% of our incoming
	students need the developmental reading and most need the math, but not all
	majors require math courses.

	COMPASS     Cut off scores          Summer 2005 administration

	Reading
	0 to 79 RDG 0050        Basic Reading Skills
	80+     no need for basic skills course

	Writing
	0 to 70 WRT 0050    Essential Writing Skills
	71+     WRT0100

	score plus writing sample will determine appropriate Writing course
	        developmental writing
	        WRT 0100 in fall
	        WRT 0100 in spring for the best students

	Math
	0 to 50 MAT 0050   Elementary Algebra       IF   Math or Science major
	51+     MAT 0115   College Algebra             IF Science major
	75+     MAT 0120   Calculus I           IF MATH major

	Joanne

	Dr. Joanne Conlon
	Director, Student Academic Support
	106 Brown Science