Hi,
I'm attaching the assessment placement chart for the placement decision we made this fall as a pilot.  We are using the COMPASS and the COMPASS Diagnostic as a second assessment tool.  While we are pleased with the results of the COMPASS assessment and diagnostic, we still have issues of students "self-placing" and therefore, registering for the wrong reading course and the local literacy council referred students progressing so slowly that it can take years for students to be ready to come back to the college to take the COMPASS again!  This is true for the ESL students as well. So, all in all, we don't really have a resource for the lower level readers nor the ESL low level readers.

Because we are such a small college, there is a concern that we shouldn't offer ESL reading classes because we wouldn't have enough students to fill a class and then the question becomes should we put the lower level native speakers in the same class as the ESL students.  I'm open to thoughts on this local issue.
Mary

Mary Weller
Reading and Study Skills Instructor
Kellogg Community College
450 North Avenue
Battle Creek, MI  49017-3397
269-965-3931 X2286

>>> [log in to unmask] 2/8/2007 1:40 AM >>>
A colleague of mine who teaches English initiated an online discussion at
our college about the literacy level among students placing into our lowest
level developmental reading and writing courses (his note is appended to
this message).  He asked me to share the note with all of you to see if we
could learn from experiences and insights at other colleges.  In particular,
do you see similar issues in your developmental reading and writing courses
and, if so, do you have any recommendations for dealing with these issues?

Here is the note:

Within the English dept. over the past few months we have been taking a hard
look at the two lowest levels of developmental reading & writing.  After a
good deal of discussion, here is our consensus, very much condensed:

       Students at these levels demonstrate sub-high-school literacy (first
on standardized placement tests, later verified via classroom assessment).

       We question whether it is appropriate to admit students with this
literacy level as regular, matriculated college students.

       We also are very concerned about the phenomenon of very low literacy
students taking college-level courses at the 100 and even 200 level.

       We question whether the current system is best for these students,
regarding their academic progress and related to other issues such as
expenses and financial aid.

We would like to talk about other approaches to meeting the needs of very
low literacy students which might improve upon current practices. Some
possibilities that have come up include non-credit college-literacy-prep
courses, expanding academic ESL offerings, identifying community resources
for referrals, etc.

Thanks for your comments and insights,

Geoff Krader
Morton College