1.  What test do you use?

COMPASS

2.  Is it effective in placing students in developmental and college
level mathematics courses?

I'm not so sure since I'm an English and Reading instructor.

3.  Do you administer a Writing Sample in addition to the placement test
in writing skills?

No, however, we are going to start using e-write in the summer (not soon
enough by my reckoning).

4.  Is the placement test effective in placing students in developmental
or college level English courses with and/or without a writing sample?

If I was a kid, I'd say "what William said!" His reply to this question
is pretty much on target with what happens with our testing. Often
students that have low writing skills end up testing well enough on the
COMPASS grammar test to be placed in English 098 or higher. This is one
reason I take issue with using the COMPASS without a writing sample.
Some students are particularly adept at guessing answers on multiple
choice tests. I have students in my English 097 and 098 classes who, by
what they scored on the COMPASS, should be able to write in a clear,
understandable way, but barely speak the English language.

Can e-Write help? I hope so. As it stands now, I think COMPASS needs
some work.

Jess