Hi Frances.
See below for some answers to your questions.

________________________________

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals on behalf of Frances Loeffler
Sent: Mon 2/12/2007 7:29 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: computerized placement testing

I am researching computized placement options for a urban communnity
college that is currently using ASSET.  If you are using either
COMPASS or ACCUPLACER, I would appreciate your input on the following:

1.  What test do you use? Accuplacer

2.  Is it effective in placing students in developmental and college level
mathematics courses?
I think so, but we are in the process of trying to tweak it somewhat so it is even more accurate. I am not a "math person," so I don't have specific details about that.

3.  Do you administer a Writing Sample in addition to the placement test
in writing skills? We use WritePlacer + only, which requires students to write an essay within the Accuplacer program. We use none of the multiple-choice measurements for writing. We have found that we need to read some of the essays to assure accurate placement, particularly the ESL essays. Essays that receive a 7, for example, are considered borderline and someone on our staff reads them to make sure the placement is accurate.

4.  Is the placement test effective in placing students in developmental
or college level English courses with and/ot without a writing sample. See above. If we had more time and money, we would also use one or both of the multiple-choice measurements (sentence skills and reading comprehension). But testing already takes students 3 to 3-and-a-half hours (English, math, and we have a chemistry and computer test too), so having them do all three of the writing tests isn't an option. However, if you have the option, I think a combination of sentence skills, reading comprehension, and the WritePlacer + essay would yield the most accurate placements.

Good luck!

Chrisa Hotchkiss

Director of Learning Services

Dominican University of California

(415) 257-0153

Thank you for your assistance.  I am willing to share the information I
receive, if you are interested.