From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals on behalf of Tiefenbruck, Brenda F.
Sent: Thu 2/22/2007 5:11 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Tutor Content Training

Sonya & Listers
Great question and a real dilemma for math tutors.

The Math tutoring center here is a drop in center and with nearly 30 tutors,
sitting in on classes or adding to Blackboard is tough. We have the solution
manuals and texts available for review for tutors. We also do training
nearly every 2 weeks during the semester to cover some content as well as
pedagogy.

One project I have had tutors working on recently is to create a "cheat
sheet" for their fellow tutors. Several are working together to review all
of the calculus text. (3 semesters of calc) This has been helpful for each
of them as they have created a first draft each and then reviewed each
other's work to create one document. The resulting document goes into a
folder for all to use.

I have also created some materials to help on difficult topics in some of
the courses I teach. It is an ongoing battle.
Thanks for bringing up the issue.

--
Brenda Tiefenbruck
Director, Mathematics Resource Center (MaRC)