From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals on behalf of Ann Marshall
Sent: Wed 2/28/2007 4:09 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: suggestions for novels

Dear Listers,

A colleague of mine is looking for a novel to use with college
developmental reading students.  She used _The Power of One_ this
semester, but finds that it is a bit too long for her purposes.  She has
incorporated the reading into her class time, with the instructor
reading part out loud and the students completing the assigned reading
silently before responding in a reading journal.  She wants to continue
the activity, but is looking for suggestions of contemporary books that
will appeal to students and have the same literary value, but that are
shorter or a 'quicker' read.  Do any of you have some suggestions of
material that is appropriate for college level students?

I know she will appreciate any ideas.  You may respond to the list or to
me directly.

Thanks!
       Ann