-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jan Norton
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 9:07 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: SI in CA community colleges

One answer is to simply rename the service (sorry, UMKC).  There are few
if any comparable confusions associated with the term "tutoring" and
though some insist -- partly out of a desire to create a distinctive
label -- that SI isn't tutoring, in fact SI is just on one end of a
spectrum that begins with one-on-one tutoring and includes group
tutoring, tutoring in which part of the training may involve some class
attendance, tutors who prep for their tutoring instead of reacting to
their clients' session by session needs, tutors who have succeeded in
the courses they tutor -- you get the picture.

Supplemental Learning?

Peer Tutoring Groups?

Study Group?

Supplemental Non-instruction?  ;)