I definitely agree with Patricia.  It's also great way for the tutor to assess whether the student has understood and learned the concept if the student can apply what s/he has learned through the rest of the paper ... and future ones as well.

Karin

________________________________

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals on behalf of Patricia R Eney
Sent: Thu 2/8/2007 11:34 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Policy for tutoring ESL students in writing

   Chrisa, when I have done writing tutoring with ESL students, I have
found a common mistake on their paper, modeled how to correct it, and
then had them find that type of error in the rest of the paper and
show me how they would correct it. If we have time in the session, we
do the same thing with another type of error.

   It is very tempting to go through and correct their papers with
them because they are so needy, but the tutors need to realize that
this is just enabling them, not helping them learn the language.

   Patti

Patricia R. Eney
Learning Assistance Lecturer
University of Wisconsin-Parkside