Dimitris,

> I would appreciate any suggestions with regard to web-based software that
> can collect network data from say 250-300 respondents in a large technical
> project bringing together research labs scattered around the globe.

If you are familiar with the Open Source CMS TYPO3, please have a look at
the  "Advanced Surveys"-extension that we especially developed for the
collection of network data:

http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/view/ms_survey/0.2.4/

Features (two-dimensional items for common question types, special
features for Social Network Analysis):
http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/extension-manuals/ms_survey/0.2.4/view/1/1/#id2695718

Good luck!

Tobias