Hello,

Red-breasted mergansers arrived early this past fall, 2nd week of September, 20+ along the Pasco coast.
On our WPCBC, 750+ were counted Jan 2nd, our highest ever for the count. We attributed these large numbers along with other fish eating birds to an explosion of bait fish off our coast. Mid January I counted 250 off Green Key. These were all females/ imm. males? Just last week I found several males in full plumage along with the flocks of females along Green Key.

Ken Tracey
New Port Richey