All:

I've lived here in North Naples, Collier County for nearly 7 years
and have spent quite a few winters and winter vacations here long
before that, starting in the early 80's. However, I've NEVER seen so
many American Robins in Collier County as have this winter. Their
numbers are staggering. Today for example, it sounded much like
springtime in the Northeast Ohio area from where I last lived for any
length of time. AMROs were singing everywhere. My backyard, which
abuts Greg "The Shark's" Tiburón Mega Golf Course was completely
inundated with noisy flocks of AMROs in the thousands. They were
after the Brazilian Pepper berries of course. I went outside and it
was literally "raining" pepper berry seeds! You could actually hear
them dropping on the ground and they would stick to my exposed arms,
etc. I estimate 25,000 AMROs had to be coming through with probably
500 or so Cedar Waxwings. I was able to photograph many AMROs eating
Brazilian Pepper berries. The last "invasion" of AMROs that came
anywhere near these numbers in Collier County was in 2005, but even
then, I don't think they were in the high numbers that I've witnessed
recently in this county. Given these AMRO's propensity for Brazilian
Peppers, I'm sure there will be many, many more of this nasty
invasive exotic sprouting up in the 'hood in years to come, providing
everything isn't paved-over or otherwise annihilated by then. . . .

Cheers.

Vince

Vincent Lucas
Naples, FL