BEST'ers,

Below is a message from Joe DuChene, who is working with ESPS and
the Krishna lunch folks on their transition to biodegradable
plates. We'd like to incorporate some of this compost into our
bioenergy garden, and also help find other uses for this
material.

This is a big, important, and highly visible effort towards more
sustainability on our campus. Please get in direct touch with Joe
if you'd like to help work out ways in which we can efficiently
handle this material for the short, medium, and long-term.

je

I have been working with the Environment, Science & Policy Society
(ESPS) to begin composting the food waste from Krishna lunch,
along with the new compostable plates they are using.  I was
wondering if the BESTS garden would be interested in using the
compost.  I was also hoping to recruit some help for such a
tremendous undertaking.  The Krishna's will be serving
approximately 800-1100 lunches a day.  Transporting so much waste,
and composting it efficiently will be a challenge.  Let me know
what you think, and if you know anyone who would like to help.
Thank you,
Joe DuChene

Jason Evans
Ph.D. Candidate, Interdisciplinary Ecology
School of Natural Resources and the Environment
University of Florida
(352) 466-4549 - home office
(352) 328-1199 - cell

BioEnergy and Sustainable Technology Society
http://grove.ufl.edu/~bests/