Rice, R. E., Hughes, D., & Love, G. (1989).  Usage and outcomes of
electronic messaging at an R&D organization: Situational constraints, job
level, and media awareness.  Office: Technology and People, 5(2), 141-161.

[this combined self-reported and system-monitored email data; we had an
intermediary assign a common id to the email data and the survey data, and
then removed the actual email id and the survey ID.  So the data were
integrated but anonymous.]

Rice, R. E.  (1982). Communication networking in computer-conferencing
systems: A longitudinal study of group roles and system structure.  In M.
Burgoon (Ed.), Communication yearbook, 6 (pp. 925-944). Beverly Hills, CA:
Sage. [this used two-years's worth of computer-conferencing messaging system
data]

[While there are many studies now using web and blog links, and access to
large bodies of email data (such as Enron), actually during the 1980s there
was a flurry of articles on comparing self-report and system-monitored
networking data, as it was only then becoming available.  For more general,
early discussions of these kinds of data (horribly outdated by now of
course), see:

Rice, R. E. & Borgman, C.  (1983).  The use of computer-monitored data in
information science and communication research.  Journal of the American
Society for Information Science, 34(4), 247-256.

And

Rice, R. E. (1990).  Computer-mediated communication system network data:
Theoretical concerns and empirical examples.  International Journal of
Man-Machine Studies, 32(6), 627-647.]

Ronald E. Rice
Arthur N. Rupe Chair in the Social Effects of Mass Communication
Co-Director, Carsey-Wolf Center for Film, Television and New Media
President of the International Communication Association
Fulbright Professor, Finland 2006
Dept. of  Communication, 4840 Ellison Hall
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-4020
Ph: 805-893-8696; Fax: 805-893-7102
http://www.comm.ucsb.edu/rice_flash.htm