Thanks to recent reports from Brian Monk D.V.M and Terry Doyle, I was
inspired to look for one of the last known colonies of Smooth-billed Anis
left in North America, while on business near Ft. Lauderdale Airport. At
around 9:30 a.m, while heading northbound on I-95 onto the eastbound ramp
onto I-595, I was almost certain I saw(5) Anis perched on the the fence of
Perimiter Road. Hoping that it was not a mere pigment of my imagination, I
planned on searching the area after my meeting. About 2:00 p.m I headed
south on U.S. 1 (Federal Highway)turning right(west)onto Old Griffin Rd. I
checked the area across the canal under the powerlines with no luck so I
headed to the two fields on the east side of Old Griffin that are near the
large warehouse with a huge 800 written on the south face of the building. I
found a single Smooth-billed Ani perched on a brush-pile at the corner of N.
W. 3rd Terrace and N.W. 6th Avenue. I ran into my buddy Doc,a Broward
pediatrician, and took him to see the bird. I did not take the time to check
Perimiter Road for the rest of the colony due to time constraints. Life is
good............... spotting this rare and elusive Zygodactyl.

Paul Bithorn
Virginia Gardens, Florida
Miami-Dade County