Walt Winton and I saw 2 Solitary Sandpipers as well as ducks, coots,
yellowlegs, spoonbills and  swallow-tailed kites, at the pond behind Sun Harvest at
the Metro Parkway intersection. For those who may not know of this site each
winter as the water draws down the birding is excellent.
However, it seems to have become the popular off road site for ORVs so while
we watched the local birds manuvering in horror to stay out of the way of the
vehicles racing and mutilating the shoreline the only thing they weren't
destroying were the no trespassing signs. With kids on the ORVs we are assured also
of another generation that may treat the ecology the same. If this info
reaches the proper authorites so much the better.
Currently there is no barrier to the site. It is with resignation that the
only probable way that the abuse will stop is when the site is developed and all
the wildlife left there will be gone anyway. Hmmm Lee Co.
Vince McGrath
Ft. Myers,Fl.
http://www.aol.com.