Hi All
  I met Meret Wilson yesterday (Saturday) and we stood in the off/on  pouring
rain at around 4pm where she and MIchael Brothers previously described  the
eared grebe.  We were able to find the eared grebe near a group of 2-3  horned
grebes.   There was one horned grebe in almost complete  breeding plumage - a
very striking bird.   This gave us an opportunity  to compare both grebes in
their winter plumage.
  There were also mixed flocks of scaup and ring-billed ducks, plus  one
common loon.  Meret showed me the great-horned owl nest with the two  fledglings
previously described, as well.
  Thanks to Meret for her patience in seeking this year bird for me  (as I
showed my expertise by cleverly dropping my scope and tripod in the sandy  mud).
   It was a rainy, but fun day.
thanks
diane reed
st.augustine, fl