This was discussed on NEOORN. See:

http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~smithsm/playback.pdf

Since there is a well established response of some birds to playback,
it not difficult to understand that a lot of playback could be
disruptive. However, occasional playback is unlikely to have much of
an effect in the long term.

Cheers

Ross McGregor
Tallahassee, FL

On 3/1/07, Hugh McGuinness <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Bev and everyone,
>
> Do you (or anyone else on the list) know of published (non-anecdotal)
> data that supports the hypothesis that any or all tape playback is
> actually disruptive to breeding birds?
>
> Hugh
>
> Hugh McGuinness
> The Ross School
> 18 Goodfriend Dr.
> East Hampton, NY 11963
> 631-907-5229 (no messages)
> 631-697-2099 (cell)

Department of Oceanography
Florida State University
West Call St.
Tallahassee, Florida 32306
USA
"I'm no good at judging the size of crowds Ted, but I'd say there's
about seventeen million of them out there." - Father Dougal McGuire