Florida Birding Trail site #103, Osceola County), I emailed one of the
staff to see about the situation. Here was their response:

"The WMA is never closed to the public (open 365 and 24/7). I am sorry for
any confusion caused by this book, but area maps are available at every
entrance to Three Lakes WMA and they show our designated entrances. The
gate where William's Road and Canoe Creek Road intersect is for management
area staff and has always been closed to the public. There is no legal
entry point to the 441 section of Three Lakes along Canoe Creek Rd. The
only entrance to the 441 section is off of 441. However, there are plenty
of RCWs to see in Prairie Lakes and the Canoe Creek section of Three Lake
s WMA. Some are even visible from the road.

The 60 side of the WMA is where the FL grasshopper sparrows can be found.
The designated entrance for this section is off of Hwy. 60. Sometimes
there is a gate open at the end of Rd. 10 and the curve of Rd. 16, and one
could travel between Prairie Lakes and the 60 side. However, during
hunting season this gate remains closed and it is temporarily closed
randomly throughout the rest of the year to discourage people from using
Three Lakes WMA as a shortcut. If people run into the issue of the gate to
the 60 side being closed they can take the road next to the cemetery
(Peavine Rd.) in Kenansville and this will take them out to Hwy. 60, just
east of the management area. This is a lot shorter than going all the way
down to YeeHaw to catch Hwy. 60."

Hope this helps clear up any confusion.

FYI, bird checklists for all of FWC's Wildlife Management Areas can now be
downloaded or ordered at:

http://myfwc.com/recreation/requests.asp

Three Lakes WMA also has a driving tour guide booklet, request yours at
the website above.

Happy trails,

Mark Kiser
Birding Trail Coordinator