Sorry for this late post. A Winter Wren was seen Monday 26 Feb 2007 about 11 A.M. The bird was first heard and then finally spotted close to the ground in palmetto scrub. The bird was scolding in rapid staccato notes, a vocalization unfamiliar to me. This is a first for me in this area and probably in Florida.

BTW, the SJRWMD is purchasing 6,237 acres in western Clay County adjacent to Camp Blanding. The property is split by SR 21 but contains 2,199 acres of wetlands plus black water creeks and forested ravines. This area should make for some nice birding. The area is a worked over pine plantation but with the same type of good management that the District has done at Bayard, the area will come back.

Lenore McCullagh
Orange Park
Clay County