Carla and all,

  I suppose it really depends where "here" is. From the southern tip of the state to the northern more temperate climes where Noel lives, winter distribution varies greatly. For example in Everglades NPP, it is very common to see numerous Great Crested Flycatchers on a winter trip.

  By comparison here in the lower/central Gulf (where you and I live) they are rare in winter and not a bird you would expect to see in a day of birding in winter. You may find one or two in winter if you look really hard or are lucky. In the northern half to third of the state, they are unexpected and a major surprise in winter. Not surprisingly though the habitats for the three areas could best be described as more tropical, sub-tropical, and... .help me folks how would you best categorize the upper portion of the state is it temperate?!?... don't know. My point is that the habitat more closely resembles the bulk of the wintering territory the further south we go.

  At any rate, my resident birds are back now, I had two territorial birds chasing each other around yesterday. The calls and behavior to me were more in line with "disturbed" birds and the chase seemed more like males defending territory than an amorous pair trying to woo each other! ;)... for what its worth.

  Good birding,

  Jeff Bouton
  Leica Sport Optics
  Port Charlotte, FL
  Jeff's birding blog:
  www.birdwatchersdigest.com/leica/index.html
  Jeff's wildlife images:
  http://www.flickr.com/photos/16435490@N00/

Carla Finley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  I don't know if it's early or not but a week before the 20th of Feb. I heard one calling, then got a photo on the 20th. Got another photo yesterday. I thought they were permanent residents here. Sarasota County, FL

Carla Finley
Venice Florida
http://community.webshots.com/user/carlafinley