RE: Gail Menk posting - As she indicates, observations of "homogenous flocks" often produce surprise sightings of rarer or simply different species. This phenomena was reversed for us yesterday as we slowly traveled a rural road off SR 19 in Dixie county and spotted a lone Grasshopper Sparrow perched on a fence line adjoining a small weed field. Upon stopping to study the "rare" sparrow, we "pished up" a flock of Chippies, several Song sparrows, several No. Cardinals (from adjoining woodlands) a single House Wren and a female B&W Warbler lured into the open.

This little, waste, field was no more then 100 ft. on a side yet it proved highly productive. For the rare birders in that corner of Florida the road was "Jungle Drive" ca .25 miles south of the Old Town intersection off the east side and behind the "Flying Hawk" western wear store - no raptors in sight.

The purpose of our brief trip was to survey Am. Oystercatchers along the Gulf, of which we found many. One highlight was sighting two adult Bald Eagles feeding on a tidal bar directly in front of Horseshoe Beach. Shorebirds were common, but far from the nos. found in and around Cedar Key well to our south.

Doris and Pat Leary, Fernandina Beach, Nassau County