This food/fuel fight reminds me of my father telling me about his mother saying,
"Eat your dinner -- just think of the starving Armenians who would be happy to
get it!".

He said he was a lot older when he realized that eating more in the US didn't
mean that the Armenians would get more food.

True, the price of food here will go up as demand for biofuels increases. That
will convince more farmers to plant; corn acreage is higher this year.

Let's also think of places like New York City, where nothing edible is grown. If
transportation there fails because current fuel becomes so expensive that the
trucks and trains no longer bring it in to be sold, the denizens of NYC will
have to leave unless organized crime sells food because the profits will be
higher than with drugs.

Perhaps a more holistic consideration is needed prior to blindly fighting
biofuels. What do you propose instead? Florida is now considering high
production of ethanol from biomass. Only the enviros are opposing it. Florida
imports over 90% of all its fuels. There's a 200 MW hydro plant near Tallahassee
(enviros oppose large hydro) and some solar hot water heating. Ever notice the
summer thunderstorms we have here that block the sun? The rest is fossil and
nuclear.

 Ideally, wastes should be reduced by putting an economic value on as much as
possible.

Frank