hi all,

I'm a researcher in Penn State and Dr. Wilkie was nice enough to add
me to your mail list a few months ago. I learned a lot from
everybody's messages btw! I work here on biofilters, and others in my
lab focus on bioenergy. One of the alternatives to corn-based ethanol,
it seems is switchgrass (or other plant substrate) ethanol. This
process (still being researched) includes pre--treatment with enzymes,
or fungi producing the enzymes, to break down the fibers in the grass
into cellulose (to then be fermented). Other pre-treatments are
ensilage. Using grass to produce ethanol requires more research, and
possible a different engineering design for teh reactors.
My personal impression is that decision makers sometime substitute
needed research with political muscle. It's a colonizer's solution,
and an unsustainable one, to use other countries' resources to
survive, and it's always at the "colony's" expense. One of the
alternative things about biofuels could be that unlike fossile fuels
they would be produced in a socially and politically sustainable
manner, without creating unfair exploitation or dependence between
countries, which all leads to political tension.

Hala

--
Hala Chaoui, PhD, EIT
Postdoc, Agricultural and Biological Engineering Department