Agriculture and climate change: The impact of nitrous oxide and methane
Farmers Guardian, UK, 20 April, 2007

"Agriculture has been, at times reluctantly, thrust to the front of the
climate change debate. In a series of four articles, David Burrows looks
at the impact of agriculture on our climate and the solutions to
mitigate it. He begins with a focus on methane and nitrous oxide
potent greenhouse gases that we understand little about.

Farming is responsible for 46 per cent of methane and 66 per cent of
nitrous oxide emissions in the UK.

One potential solution is anaerobic digestion  using animal manures to
create biogas, which is rich in methane and can be used to generate heat
or electricity.

There are a triad of benefits: reductions in methane emissions from
stored manure; energy creation and therefore less need for fossil fuels;
and the digestate (what is left over) can be applied to land without
creating so much nitrous oxide."

http://www.farmersguardian.com/story.asp?sectioncode=21&storycode=9028

Dr. Ann C. Wilkie                          Tel: (352)392-8699
Soil and Water Science Department          Fax: (352)392-7008
University of Florida-IFAS
P.O. Box 110960                         E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Gainesville, FL 32611-0960
Campus location: Environmental Microbiology Laboratory (Bldg. 246).
http://campusmap.ufl.edu/
BioEnergy and Sustainable Technology Society
http://grove.ufl.edu/~bests/