York,

To find out if R is compiled with 32 bits or 64 bits, look at the variable:

.Machine$sizeof.pointer

It is 4 on 32-bit and 8 on 64-bit compiles.

R has flexible memory limits, mainly imposed by Windows itself.
It is set by the command-line flag --max-mem-size and defaults to the
smaller of the amount of physical RAM in the machine and 1.5Gb. It can be
set to any amount between 32Mb and 3Gb. Be aware though that Windows has (in
most versions) a maximum amount of user virtual memory of 2Gb.
See the R FAQ topic "2.9 There seems to be a limit on the memory it uses!"
at "http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html" for details.

"statnet" uses these limits. Further technical discussion should probably go
to the "[log in to unmask]" group (See
http://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/statnet_help).

Best,

Mark

Mark S. Handcock
Professor of Statistics
Department of Statistics, C014-B Padelford Hall
University of Washington, Box 354322     Phone:  (206) 221-6930
Seattle, WA  98195-4322.                 FAX:    (360) 365-6324
Web:  www.stat.washington.edu/~handcock
internet:  [log in to unmask]