Belated report from my recent Ornithology class fieldtrip...

1 Smooth-billed Ani at the "walkway" behind the Belle Glade marina
campground (see Pranty) on April 14.  There were also several Purple
Gallinules, Roseate Spoonbills, and a Solitary Sandpiper.

1 White-tailed Kite at Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park (north of
Basinger), on the left, about 2/3 of the way along the N-S portion of
the park road.  Paul Miller, park biologist thinks there is a pair
nesting within sight of the road at this point.  This was also April 14.

Lake Overstreet road on April 13 yielded Crested Caracara, Burrowing
Owl, 1 Snail Kite, 1 Whooping Crane, and 5-6 Bald Eagles.

Despite the passage of the front and hard rain on April 15/16,
Everglades and Keys (Largo and Long) yielded exceedingly few migrants.
I had not realized how devastated the mangrove forests in the
Everglades were as a result of Hurricane Wilma in Oct. 2005.  We did
have 3 Magnificant Frigatebirds and a Peregrine Falcon at Flamingo, and
several Merlin and a pair of Broad-winged Hawks in the Keys on the 16th.

Black-necked Stilts seem to be all over Florida right now.

Brad

Brad Bergstrom, Ph.D., Professor
Dept. of Biology, Valdosta St. Univ.
Valdosta, GA 31698-0015