After a banner year in 2006, the Jax Zoo Wood Stork colony is struggling in 2007. We have less than 50 nests total in the whole colony this year and just 2 nests thus far with hatchlings (estimate 2-4 chicks total).

Compare that to last year on April 23rd when the colony had 110 nests (41 of those w/chicks, totalling 92 chicks).

I was wondering if anyone else that monitors or keeps track of wood stork colonies in the state is experiencing a similar drop-off or total colony failure this season.

Regards,

Kevin Dailey
Little Marsh Island
Jax, FL