All:

Fifteen intrepid folks braved pea soup fog for much of the early
morning -- the worst fog I've ever experienced in south Florida, to
bird STA-5 today in Hendry County, south of Clewiston. Two rather
unexpected species were added to the STA-5 checklist today, which now
stands at 142:  Red-breasted Merganser & Ruddy Turnstone. The latter
was in full high-breeding plumage. Neither bird is what I'd call
"common" for inland Florida, south of Lake Okeechobee. Also seen was
the American Wigeon that was found a few weeks ago at STA-5. It was
in the same general area and may be injured, although not evidently so.

Nothing of note was seen on our "usual" route to STA-5 from Naples
via CR846 (Immokalee Rd.)-to CR833-to CR835-to Blumberg Rd.-to STA-5
due to the thick fog which reduced visibility to about 100 yards at
most. It was rather spooky for the first half of the morning.

Here is the day list for STA-5 for 04/28/2007:

Fulvous Whistling-Duck     1
Wood Duck     2
American Wigeon     1
Mallard     1 (male and not feral)
Mottled Duck
Blue-winged Teal
Northern Shoveler     1
Ring-necked Duck     5
Red-breasted Merganser     1
Northern Bobwhite     1
Pied-billed Grebe
American White Pelican     5
Double-crested Cormorant
Anhinga
Least Bittern     1
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Little Blue Heron
Tricolored Heron
Cattle Egret
Green Heron
Black-crowned Night-Heron     6
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron     3
White Ibis
Glossy Ibis
Roseate Spoonbill     30
Wood Stork     1
Osprey     5
Snail Kite     3
Northern Harrier     1
Red-shouldered Hawk     3
Peregrine Falcon     1
Purple Swamphen     12
Purple Gallinule     10
Common Moorhen
American Coot
Limpkin     3
Semipalmated Plover     1
Black-necked Stilt
Greater Yellowlegs     1
Lesser Yellowlegs
Ruddy Turnstone     1
Least Sandpiper
Stilt Sandpiper     1
Long-billed Dowitcher     50
Caspian Tern     6
Black Skimmer     150
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove
Common Ground-Dove
Common Nighthawk     20+
Loggerhead Shrike
Tree Swallow     125
Barn Swallow     3
Northern Mockingbird
Common Yellowthroat
Eastern Towhee    (heard only along Blumberg Rd.)
Savannah Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Bobolink     1 (male)
Red-winged Blackbird
Eastern Meadowlark
Boat-tailed Grackle

On the return trip back to Naples, Alan Murray and I stopped at a
small park in Collier County called Oil Well Park, which is located
on S.R. 29, one mile south of Sunnyland Station. In the immediate
vicinity of this park we heard Northern Bobwhite (#183 for my Collier
County Big Year) and saw several Eastern Meadowlarks, two Sandhill
Cranes, a subadult Bald Eagle and two Swallow-tailed Kites among
other birds.

Good birding!

Vince

Vincent Lucas