FLORIDABIRDERS,

Those of you who were on the Paulk's Pasture WMA field trip with Gene
Keferl on Saturday might be interested in the following which I just
posted to GABO.  A map of this site can be found in Giff Beaton's
"Birding Georgia".

Following up on the report of a Trail's Flycatcher by Gene Keferl on his
GOS/FOS field trip on 4/21/07 to Paulk's Pasture WMA, Cheryl Kanes,
Darlene Moore and I arrived at Paulk's about 6:15 AM on Monday, April
23.  We drove Main Rd. listening for nightjars and owls and were
rewarded with several Chuck-will's-widows.  We birded the first swamp
(Buffalo) and had Prothonotary Warbler, Acadian Flycatcher,
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron and Hooded Warbler.  We birded the wooded
area just beyond the Buffalo Swamp and had Northern Parula, Cape May,
Yellow-throated and Black-and-White Warblers as well as Eastern
Wood-Pewee.

We continued on to Sumlin Swamp, arriving about 9:00 AM and heard a
flycatcher call which sounded just like the Alder Flycatcher song that
we had been listening to so often on the way there.  We walked down the
road to where we thought the call was coming from and played the song on
Darlene's birdpod.  The bird came up to the road within about 10 feet of
us, a little above eye level and sang again.  I was able to record the
song with a digital voice recorder.  It is the "harsh, burry rreeBEEa"
that Sibley describes as the song of the Alder Flycatcher.

We left Paulk's on our way back to Atlanta with several unsuccessful
stops for kites at the Altamaha Regional Park in Glynn County, the
Altamaha Overlook Park in Doctortown (Wayne County) and Griffin Ridge
WMA (Long County).  Then, after stopping just south of Glennville for
some Vidalia Onions, Cheryl spotted several soaring raptors with flat
wings just a mile or two north of us up US 301.  We watched as a
Swallow-tailed Kite drifted toward and then past us.  Most of the other
birds were still north of us so we drove to the intersection of US 301
and GA 196 and pulled over and watched as 12 Mississippi Kites and two
more Swallow-tailed Kites drifted over a field.  They did not appear to
be feeding, just flying around ever so gracefully.

It was a wonderful way to end a long weekend of Georgia birding.
Darlene & I recorded 159 species from Friday morning to Monday afternoon
- and neither of us went on any of the barrier island field trips!

Bill Lotz
Atlanta
Fulton County