All:

Unlike other parts of Gulf Coast Florida, Collier County doesn't
really have any migrant traps, or at least, I haven't been able to
find any in over 10 years of birding in this county. Sure, there are
times when migrants are fairly numerous at certain locales i.e.
Sugden Community Park for example. However, this afternoon, along
with Ken Williams of Naples, we birded Pelican Bay Community Park in
North Naples for a couple of hours and witnessed what I would
describe as one of the best local fallouts I've ever experienced here
in Collier County. Not that this fallout rivaled those which can be
found at Ft. DeSoto for example, but this one was unusual in that
there were "numbers" of certain migrants that are downright uncommon
in SW Florida. Undoubtedly, two days of easterly winds had something
to do with it. We had well over a dozen Black-throated Blue Warblers,
the most I've ever seen in Collier County, as well as 15+ Blackpoll
Warblers, another very uncommon migrant in SW Florida. Add three very
nice Cape May Warblers + seven other migrant warbler species
(Ovenbird, American Redstart, Prairie, Worm-eating, Northern Parula,
Black-and white, and Palm Warblers) for a total of ten warbler
species. We also saw a Yellow-billed Cuckoo (thanks Ken!), migrant
Gray Catbirds (vocalizing), Brown Thrasher (vocalizing), White-eyed
Vireo plus nest-gathering Fish Crows, territorial Northern
Mockingbirds, etc., etc. and you have the makings of a very nice
couple of hours of birding! Pelican Bay Community park isn't what I'd
call a "nature" park i.e. it's much more a "people's" park, thus,
finding migrants in these numbers just proves to me that given just a
modicum of "habitat" and sufficient food (nectar sources and
insects), the birds WILL come. . . . I will post a few photos of some
of today's sightings on my Flickr account (see below).

Cheers.

Vince

Vincent Lucas
Naples, FL