Lorraine and I did a mid season survey of the colonial ( wading bird )
nesting colony on Coffee Pot Bayou Bird Nesting Island in St. Petersburg this
morning. This nesting colony is significant for several reasons, first off being
as it's smack in the midst of a city of over 225,00 people. Secondly, it's
home  to very significant numbers of Roseate Spoonbills and Reddish Egrets. It
appears  that this year we will add our first endangered species to the 13
species that  already nest at Coffee Pot as Lorraine and I witnessed a pair of Wood
Storks  building a nest on the southwestern end of the Island on one of the
higher  Mangroves. This is very significant in that Wood Storks typically nest
in a  freshwater environment or at worst case a brackish estuarine Island but
Coffee  Pot is for all intents and purposes a salt water Mangrove Island. Also
of note  was 6 Cattle Egret nests including one with a pair of tiny fuzzy
chicks. We also  had 13 Reddish Egret Branchlings including ( to our knowledge )
the first white  morph chick being fed by a dark morph parent. Coffee Pot is a
great place to see  the interaction and feeding behaviour of wading birds at
all levels of  development because of it's close proximity to downtown St.
Petersburg. You can  rent an electric boat at The Electric Marina near the
dolphin parking lot on the  St. Pete pier, or you can buy a ticket on the Dolphin
Queen which gives a great  perspective, especially of the birds nesting at the
higher levels. They tour  Coffee Pot several times per day.

Don Margeson,  VP of sales
Donlo Communications, Inc.

439  Tennessee Ave. NE
St. Petersburg, FL 33702