Hello, All.

As mentioned last week, I was headed to Jetty Park for
camping over the weekend. Things were looking great by
the time I left. As we set up the tent, however, we
were greeted by sustained 25 mph winds and later rain
throughout the night into Saturday.

I hate sustained winds. Especially when they last, oh,
3 days.

No real birds in the bushes. Barely any on the beach.
If you were interested in having a Northern Gannet
symposium then you may have been all set. All plumage
variations present with the scores of that species
right at the entrance to the canal.

Many Laughing, Ring-billed, and Herring Gulls along
with Least, Caspian, and Royal Terns. Ruddy Turnstones
turning into Summer colors and a few Sanderlings,
Willets and Skimmers rounded out the remaining
ocean-side birds. Aside from the copious pelicans and
a couple Cormorants.

Only interesting things away from the waves was a pair
of Mockers just out of the nest, my first heard
singing Palm Warbler, and a flock of Waxwings
(totaling about 100) that flew from spot to spot in
the campground all weekend.

Just before we left on Friday morning, I was shocked
by a pair of male Rose-breasted Grosbeaks at the tray
feeder as I locked the backdoor. Family got the Evil
Eye on me as I made them wait as I ran back for the
camera before we drove off.

Lake Davis continues to draw shorebirds. Several of us
have tallied quite an array here over the past week
and the species count grows daily.

As of tonight, we have the following in case anyone
needs some county list ticks:

Black-necked Stilt
Solitary Sandpiper
Spotted Sandpiper
Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs
Stilt Sandpiper
Killdeer

Most have been seen along the southern end of the
lake.  I saw the Stilt Sandpiper Friday afternoon but
didn't circle the lake for it today. Spotted Sandpiper
was pretty tolerant for ID shots. Could have been
better if that stray cat hadn't decided to tag along
with me.

I miss a full lake but this rare Sandpiper crowd is
making up for it. Especially since I can't get to the
coastal beaches too often!

Andrew Boyle
Orlando, FL