This afternoon at about 1:30 p.m. I found a beautiful Buff-breasted Sandpiper around one of the tidal pools on the sand flats of Disappearing Island in Ponce Inlet, Volusia County. The bird was not associating with any of the other sandpipers on the island. This is only the 5th record I know of for Volusia County. Interestingly enough they have all been birds that I have found at Ponce Inlet rather than inland. Also, this is the first Spring record. All of the other records were in the Fall and the last one I saw was one I photographed on Oct. 13, 1979. That's a long time to wait! If anyone knows of other Volusia County records for this species, please let me know.

There were no Piping Plovers on the Island today.  I was releasing two Northern Gannets back to the wild and they joined a large number of Gannets feeding inside the Inlet. Also present were:

Whimbrel  1
Sempalmated Plovers  300+
Wilson's Plovers  8
Black-bellied Plover 100
Sanderlings  500+
Dunlin  200+
Semipalmated Sandpiper 25+
Western Sandpiper 5
Least Sandpiper 30
Ruddy Turnstone   1
Willet 25
Royal Terns 400+
Sandwich Terns 8
Least Terns 30+
Black Skimmers  10
Ring-billed Gull  1
Herring Gull 6
Laughing Gull 50
Northern Gannets (Well inside the Inlet, even into the river heading north and south --  50+)
Merlin  1

Michael

Michael Brothers
Marine Science Center