<<<-------- lawrence e raffalovich-------->>>

> I'm trying to learn Pajek (from "Exploratory Social Network Analysis
> with Pajek.") One of the exercises asks that we manupulate
> Layout>Energy>Fruchterman Reingold>Factor.
>
> This option has no effect on the drawing, at least on my two WinXP

It should work. See

factor = 0.3
 http://vlado.fmf.uni-lj.si/pub/networks/pajek/howto/pics/krebs03.png

factor = 1.5
 http://vlado.fmf.uni-lj.si/pub/networks/pajek/howto/pics/krebs15.png

factor = 3
 http://vlado.fmf.uni-lj.si/pub/networks/pajek/howto/pics/krebs3.png

factor = 5
 http://vlado.fmf.uni-lj.si/pub/networks/pajek/howto/pics/krebs5.png

factor = 9
 http://vlado.fmf.uni-lj.si/pub/networks/pajek/howto/pics/krebs9.png

Did you do it as follows:

read network file
Draw / Draw
Layout / Energy / Fruchterman Reingold / Factor    1
Layout / Energy / Fruchterman Reingold / 2D
Layout / Energy / Fruchterman Reingold / Factor    0.2
Layout / Energy / Fruchterman Reingold / 2D
Layout / Energy / Fruchterman Reingold / Factor    5
Layout / Energy / Fruchterman Reingold / 2D

For each factor you should get different layout.

Vlado
--
Vladimir Batagelj, University of Ljubljana, Department of Mathematics
  Jadranska 19, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia