From: Social Networks Discussion Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Guy Hagen
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 11:48 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Dealing with infinite geodesic distance

While analytically, I think you want to be careful about the
implications of dropping infinite distances, I have found it useful
for graphing and similar applications to assign an arbitrary distance
of n (the number of nodes/actors), since the maximum width of a
connected graph is n-1.  Plotting infinity, or things like average
distance, become incalculable when infinities are present.  I'm not
sure there is a "right" answer.

On May 20, 2007, at 6:39 PM, Corey Phelps wrote:

> I have computed the geodesic distances for all possible dyadic
> combinations
> of actors in a network. The network is not completely connected and
> thus for
> some dyads, there is no path between them. Theoretically, the geodesic
> distance between two such actors is infinity. One approach would be
> to drop
> dyadic observations with an infinite path length from my analysis
> and treat
> them as missing data. However, I am looking for suggestions about
> assigning
> an actual value for distance (or a transformation thereof) for such
> dyads so
> they do not fall out of my analysis. I would appreciate any and all
> help
> from the list. Thanks.
>
> Corey
>
> Corey Phelps, PhD
> Asst. Professor, Management & Organization
> University of Washington Business School
> Box 353200
> Seattle, WA 98195
> (206) 543-6579

Guy Hagen, President