Hello all!

I am looking for a measure of the strength of one's professional
network.  We hope in particular to apply this to measurement of the
professional network of a young researcher just embarking on his or her
career.  Basically, we have noticed that people who have more
"connections" (through memberships in professional organizations,
colleagues with whom they regularly interact, both in other cities and
in their own institutions, etc.) are more likely to succeed.  However,
we would like to measure this in as rigorous a way as possible.  Instead
of "reinventing the wheel" I wonder if anyone knows where I might look
for such a measure, or at least for a theoretical framework on which to
base our own measure.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have!

Brian

Brian A. Primack, MD, EdM

Assistant Professor of Medicine and Pediatrics

University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine

230 McKee Place #600

Pittsburgh, PA 15213

(412) 586-9789 (phone)

(412) 692-4838 (fax)