posted on behalf of Gail Menk:

On 20 APRIL, I saw a male Yellow Warbler at Lake Jackson's Faulk Drive
Landing, where Fran Rutkovsky et al. saw an individual on 23 APRIL,
2006. Inland, said species is a rather rare spring transient, although
common to abundant during fall.  I also saw singing Palm and Yellow-
rumped Warblers and, after many a week, a male American Goldfinch (in
breeding plumage).

Solitary Sandpipers seem to have been just about everywhere this
spring county-wise, and Least Terns are slowly appearing here and there.

WEDNESDAY BLUES:  On 25 APRIL, I encountered a dozen-or-more Indigo
Buntings at BLACK SWAMP NATURE PRESERVE, a cluster of 8 males included
perched atop some foot-high reedy growth--reminded me of Spiderwort.
Males sang repeatedly with much variation, a good "re-learning
experience". Last summer BSNP was a haven for 3-or-more pairs of
Indigos, also a probable pair of Blue Grosbeaks.

Also present this time round was a singing Scarlet Tanager which I
finally spied perched way high up. Recalled that Rick West first alerted
me to that Robin-like but "raspy" song, I last heard such singing
at ROBERT WHITE WILLIAMS BIRDING TRAIL during spring of 2004.

In all, an hour well spent.

                               ----(Mr.) Gail E. Menk
--

Fran C. Rutkovsky